11.01.2011

CLASSY DIY HEADBOARDS


I’ve had several people ask about the headboards that appear in the bedroom images on my website. I posted a status update on Facebook about a week ago with a photo of my new & improved guest room bed, complete with a brand new headboard that I made myself. Me – a far cry from Martha Stewart. Since then, I’ve gotten tons of email/Facebook message inquiries about the headboard I happen to be especially proud of :), crooked nailhead-placing and all! I made 2 for the Cal King bed that sits in my guest room. The first, a padded cream vinyl with French nailhead accent trim, and the second, a plain, padded black vinyl.

I have to give credit where it’s due – I found the tutorial for the headboards on a blog post by Centsational Girl. AMAZING stuff! I wish I could be as crafty, and make all the cool things she does. The headboards were both easy and affordable (thank goodness!).

For the particular ones I made, I bought ½” plywood from Home Depot that measured 72” wide and 40” high. For the first headboard, I scoured Jo-Ann Fabrics for HOURS looking for the perfect upholstery fabric and couldn’t decide on anything. I was prepared to pay $30 a yard for 2 yards of fabulous fabric, and couldn’t make a decision for the life of me. The saleswoman casually suggested I check the clearance shelves. Lo and behold, I found a beautiful cream vinyl that was on clearance for $8 a yard – and then there was a 50% sale going on, on top of that. Score! I also bought 1” thick foam padding and some quilting batting, as well as a nailhead trim kit, and got to work.

I was so happy with the finished product that I decided to make another one; not only was it convenient for boudoir shoots to show varying bedroom looks, it worked as a backdrop for some images too. These beautiful images of Eki were done against the black headboard propped up on a chair or bed. The way the light bounced off the texture was perfect for the look we were aiming for in these shots!

No comments: